See something? Say Something! Use 311 to Report Non-Emergency Concerns

The City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County are at your service through the 311 system. If you have a concern about a non-emergency issue in your neighborhood, 311 can help connect you to the right City or County department. Simply dial 311 from any local phone. 311 also has an online reporting system.

CharMeck 311 serves as the customer contact center providing information and services for customers in the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. CharMeck 311 is open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Residents can also submit service requests online 24 hours a day.

City departments supported include Solid Waste Services, Storm Water, CMPD, Support Services, Charlotte Water, Neighborhood & Business Services and CDOT.

County departments include Park and Recreation, Tax Collections & Assessment, Land Use & Environmental Services and the Sheriff’s Office.